Guppies - the best choice for a beginner aquarist
Habitat - the waters of the islands of Barbados, Trinidad, Venezuela, Guiana.
For a comfortable existence Guppy needs an aquarium with a displacement of 20 to 50 liters. It is preferable to contain algae in the aquarium with slightly dissected leaf plates or floating on the surface of the plant. When choosing algae for a guppy aquarium, you need to take into account the shape of the leaves, as the fish can cut their magnificent fins on the sharp edges of the plants. In the aquarium, a constant change of a small part of the water should be made.
The duration of a female’s pregnancy directly depends on the temperature regime, and can range from 21 to 40 days. The female gives birth to 12 to 210 fry at a time. Guppies are viviparous fish. Single fertilization is enough for multiple conception; cases were recorded when, after a year, the female continued to give birth to offspring. In order to clean the breed, virgin (virgin) females grown separately from males are used in breeding.
- The fish was named after clergyman and scholar Robert John Lemcher Guppy.
- Guppy is the first fish to visit space as part of the Salyut 5 orbital station.
- In the second half of the 19th century, the fish was referred to only as “Savior of mankind”.
- Since one of the main guppy foods in nature are mosquito larvae. European travelers noticed that on one of the West Indian islands, in the ponds of which Guppies literally swarmed, the population practically did not suffer from malaria, unlike the other islands, where the disease was on its way.
- There is evidence of a family of wild guppies living in the Moskva River, in the area of high-temperature water discharge in Lyubertsy. In such large cities as Yaroslavl, Nizhny Novgorod, Tver, and Rybinsk, self-supplemented wild guppy families were recorded in the area of high-temperature water discharge and in the settling tanks of water treatment plants.